What Is Coworking?
Generally speaking, coworking is when people assemble in a neutral space to work in groups or independently on different projects. Coworking spaces offer the same basic amenities you would find in a traditional office, such as WiFi, printers, and conference rooms, and some offer drinks and snacks. Places like My Office 985 also allow 24/7 access, so you can come in and get your work done whenever is convenient for you. The major difference between a coworking space and a traditional office is flexibility since you don't need to sign a long-term lease or be stuck to a particular schedule in a coworking space. The main idea behind coworking environments is that they offer added flexibility without compromising on infrastructure and amenities. They are designed to provide a secure, convenient workspace without the frustrations and distractions of working from home or in a public space. They offer the best of both worlds when it comes to professional services and total flexibility and accessibility.
Advantages of Coworking Spaces
Coworking spaces can work successfully not only for freelancers and solopreneurs but also for practically any type of team or small business. If you a part of a team, there are many advantages to working with others in a coworking space. These include:
- Collaboration: Whether you work with a small group or are part of a larger team or company, collaboration is critical to maximizing efficiency and communication. Creating space and opportunity for regular face time with colleagues in coworking spaces supports better performance from the whole team or company.
- Cooperation: Coworking colleagues are also better able to delegate tasks, check-in on workflow, and have greater oversight on long-term projects. Cooperation fostered by a shared work environment helps maximize operational efficiency and project momentum.
- Mentoring: Coworking spaces offer many opportunities to hold and participate in advanced training and collaborative work. This can allow coworking colleagues to meet potential mentors and make connections that will help in their careers.
- Affordability: Rather than acquiring and maintaining an expensive commercial real estate space, small teams and businesses can take advantage of a more flexible and affordable coworking space. It makes sense to find a corporate meeting space or conference room for rent, so you only have to pay for it on the occasions you use it, instead of continually paying rent for empty space.
- Flexibility: Shared working spaces can be used whenever you need them. This allows for control over your work/life balance.
- Accountability: As you discuss your goals and learn from coworking colleagues, you build a support network to keep you accountable and focused.
- Networking: The connections you'll make in your workspace help build your professional network. You'll find this invaluable for finding referrals, getting to know leaders in your field, and staying up-to-date on the latest trends and developments throughout your market.
- Location: Many coworking spaces can be found in suburban areas. You may be able to find one near your home, which will save you time and money on your commute.
The Future of Coworking
As young workers continue to realize that they don't have to follow a traditional path in their careers, we'll likely see an increase in the number of companies and entrepreneurs who will make the leap to coworking spaces. Estimates say that 6% of all US business will be done in shared spaces by 2022. Worldwide growth is expected to outpace North American growth during the next two years. This shift will be led by technological developments, awareness, and opportunity. Coworking will become the new norm for people entering the workforce. Large organizations will still continue to thrive, and new ones will still be built from the ground up, but they are starting to focus less on having centralized locations and more on offering perks like remote working, when possible. If so many are taking advantage of coworking and will likely continue to do so in the coming years, what does that mean for you and your company? Now is a good time to think about trying coworking space. If you are in Youngstown, Mahoning County, or Trumball County, an affordable coworking space and conference room rentals are waiting for you at My Office 985. Contact us for more information or book a space today!